You are invited to my upcoming exhibition, Phoenix, which opens on 6 November 2015 at James Makin Gallery
It’s been a crazy year full of wonderful experiences and challenges: a visit to two of Manila’s most impoverished slums, Baseco Compound and Aroma, Happyland; meeting and collaborating with the exceptional communities who live there; working with talented new friends to create the Phoenix exhibition; and months of studio lockdown in Melbourne, when I turned the charcoal drawings made by the Baseco and Aroma residents into Phoenix showpieces. After months in almost complete isolation, I am proud to show you the results, and I’m looking forward to celebrating with you at the opening of the Phoenix exhibition, 6-9pm Friday 6 November at James Makin Gallery, Collingwood!
The Phoenix exhibition features:
- 10 collaborative paintings made by the Baseco and Aroma/Happyland residents, and Kaff-eine, using charcoal made in Baseco, compressed charcoal and watercolour;
- 3 watercolour and charcoal paintings by Kaff-eine;
- 2 collaborative watercolour and charcoal paintings by Kaff-eine and Geloy Concepcion;
- 6 limited edition photographs by Geloy Concepcion showcasing Manila’s charismatic street life;
- 6 limited edition photographs by Geric Cruz, which are a requiem for the original charcoal-making community ‘Ulingan’;
- The global launch of the Phoenix mini-documentary, by Geloy, Geric and Marti Salva.
Introducing Geloy and Geric
I am very excited to announce that my two major collaborators Geloy and Geric, who accompanied me into Baseco and Aroma as photographers and film-makers (and also my friends, guides, translators, negotiators and security!) are coming to Australia for the Phoenix exhibition! This will be their first visit to the country, and I am stoked that they will experience the fun of the launch, and see first-hand the entire exhibition. I am grateful for their friendship, talent, skill and genuine love for the Baseco and Aroma communities; I could not have made Phoenix without them, and I could not be happier to have us all together again for the launch.
Thank you for your support during 2015; I look forward to seeing you at the Phoenix exhibition.
James Makin Gallery
67 Cambridge St, Collingwood VIC 3066
Opening 6pm Friday 6 November
Exhibition runs 6-15 November
For sales enquiries contact James Makin Gallery:
T: +613 9416 3966 E: email@example.com